The former St. James Church of Ireland built in 1846 on the site of an earlier Protestant Church built by Roger Boyle in 1663. It is built of limestone ashlar and is a fine example of the Neo-Gothic style so popular at the time. It was converted to a Library by Cork County Council in the 1990’s.
This excellent major redevelopment project was completed in 2017 featuring the strong dairy industry heritage of the Golden Vale region and the town. To reinforce this theme, a creamery cart, complete with four churns was added. The border all around the feature was then landscaped with beautiful flowers for added interest and colour to the location outside the impressive Holy Cross Church.
Charleville Tidy Towns acknowledges the major contributions and supports of all sponsors which have now been listed as a new feature on the site.
An outstanding example of a late 19th century Neo-Gothic church. The style and scale of the building reflect the growing confidence of the Catholic Church in late 19th century Ireland. The foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Cloyne Robert Brown, a native of Charleville, in 1898. The Gothic features, such as pointed windows, buttresses and finials give an air of an ancient building. Holy Cross was completed and opened in 1902.
Thank you to the ladies of Charleville Flower and Garden Club who are doing a wonderful job of maintaining the Garden of Remembrance as well as to the individuals who cut the grass there regularly. It is looking really splendid with the planting of carpet roses and the addition of some summer bedding. The roses behind the library are also maintained by the Flower and Garden club and are a beautiful sight at the moment as they are in full bloom.
A distinctive building built in 1769 at the corner of Main and Broad streets to accommodate and control the buying and selling of local produce. The arcaded ground floor was originally open and used for the sale of farm and meat products from the adjacent Shambles Lane. The upper floor was used as a courthouse for many years until the 1980’s.
Officially open by Daniel O’Connell, the Liberator, in 1835. The banking system developed in Ireland in the 19th century and bank buildings were usually architect designed to reflect an atmosphere of stability, prosperity & honesty.
Built in 1839 for the Mercy Nuns who were part of a wide-scale religious movement at the time to provide education at all levels. The former convent chapel now houses the Mercy Order Provincial Heritage Museum which presents interesting information on the history and heritage of the Order. Access on request or by appointment.
Creameries like this developed across Ireland in the late 19th century to accommodate the new technology of large scale separation of milk for making butter in commercial quantities. It later operated as the ‘Blarney’ cheese manufacturing facility for Golden Vale Food Products Coop, now part of Kerry Group Plc., which was exported to the USA
© 2018 Charleville Tidy Towns | Site by Da Vinci Creative